Oil-Free Beet Falafel
Oil-Free Beet Falafel is a colorful falafel made from beets! This oil-free, gluten-free dish is a delicious Mediterranean style treat.
Elizabeth | The Plant-Based Catholic
- 1 Pound Dry Chickpeas
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Medium Raw Beets, quartered
- 1 Small Red Onion, quartered
- 1 Cup Fresh Parsley
- 1 Cup Fresh Cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons Freeze Dried Dill
- 8 Cloves Garlic
- 1-2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 Cup Oat Flour
Cucumber Dill Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Yogurt
- 1/2 Cucumber, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Dill
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- The day before you want to make falafel, soak the chickpeas and baking soda in lukewarm water. The beans will expand as they soak, so make sure to cover them in several inches of water.
- Add the chickpeas, beets, onion, parsley, cilantro, dill, garlic, and spices to a food processor. Blend until mostly smooth. Don't over mix.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and refrigerate for an hour or so.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the falafel mixture from the fridge. Stir in the baking powder and oat flour.
- Use a tablespoon measure to scoop 2-tablespoon sized balls. Roll into spheres or flatten into patties.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. If you made patties, flip the patties halfway through.
- Meanwhile, mix the cucumber dill yogurt ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve with pita and tahini and plant-based cucumber dill yogurt. Enjoy!