Oil-Free Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and Walnuts
Oil-Free Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and Walnuts make the perfect Thanksgiving side dish - quick and easy to make, yet still tasty enough to please picky eaters.
Elizabeth | The Plant-Based Catholic
- 1 Cup Walnut Halves
- 1 Cup Onion, chopped
- 24 Ounces Fresh Green Beans, trimmed
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth
- Toast the walnuts in a skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until they become slightly browned. Remove from the skillet and roughly chop.
- Cook the onions in the skillet on medium heat, using 1/4 cup of vegetable broth as the cooking liquid. Stir occasionally and allow the onions to soften.
- Meanwhile, steam the green beans. Fill a large saucepan with water place a steamer basket over top. Bring the water to a boil. Add the green beans and steam until just tender, around 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the beans to the skillet with the onions and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, adding additional vegetable broth if the beans start to stick.
- To serve, toss the walnuts with the beans and season with salt and pepper.