Plant-Based Chickpea Yogurt Soup
Plant-Based Chickpea Yogurt Soup is a warm, comforting dish with creaminess and deep flavor from a vegan cashew yogurt sauce.
Elizabeth | The Plant-Based Catholic
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Arborio Rice
- 4 Teaspoons Finely Chopped Fresh or Freeze Dried Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 3/4 Cup Cashews
- 3/4 Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 15 Ounce Can of Chickpeas
- 3 Cups Baby Arugula
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Dill
- Soak the cashews in boiling water.
- In a saucepan, sauté the onion over medium heat, using a tablespoon or two of the vegetable broth as the cooking liquid. Allow the onion to soften, around 6 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, garlic, and hot pepper flakes. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas to the saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain the cashews and add them to a food processor, along with the non-dairy milk and lemon juice. Puree until smooth.
- While the soup is still on the heat, stir in the arugula. Cook a minute more.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cashew yogurt cream, parsley, and dill.
- To serve, season with salt and pepper. Top with additional herbs. Enjoy!